Sunday, August 26, 2012

But that s enough history; let s chat about my experience at Columbia Restaurant. Over the years, I




In Florida, you can t avoid stumbling across Cuban and Spanish restaurants the cuisine is simply a part of its history and culture. Columbia Restaurant in Ybor City is undoubtedly one of the finest in the state, and you shouldn t skip any chance to dine there.
Built in 1905 and run by the same family ever since (now in its fifth generation), cruising guide bahamas Columbia is the oldest restaurant in Florida. Well-known actors and other celebs cruising guide bahamas have graced its tables since the restaurant s early days. You might recognize some of them: Marilyn Monroe, Joe DiMaggio, Liza Minnelli, President John F. Kennedy, George Clooney and Stephen King.
But that s enough history; let s chat about my experience at Columbia Restaurant. Over the years, I ve heard good things about this eatery, and although I ve made several trips to Ybor City in the past, I just never took the time to check it out.
A couple of months ago, I finally was in the right place at the right time. From the elaborately gold-and-blue tiled fa ade fronted with columns to iron furnishings, statues, fountains and chandeliers inside, Columbia has atmosphere with a capital A.
Fortunately, I made a reservation, but I wish I hadn t waited cruising guide bahamas to do it on the same day I was going to eat there. I didn t find out until I called that you had to make your reservation a couple cruising guide bahamas of days in advance to get a table in the room where the flamenco dancers perform.
That s right - the restaurant has flamenco dancers who perform nightly, except on Sundays. If you want to watch the flamenco dancers, there is a small fee of $6 per person (it s well worth it), and you can catch the 45-minute shows Monday through Saturday at 7:00 and 9:30 p.m. Phone (813) 248-4961 for show reservations.
However, while we were waiting in the opulent lobby which is decorated with red and gold damask fabrics and dark wood furnishings, I was able to sneak a peek into the main dining room and caught a glimpse of the dancers moving as gracefully as ballerinas, occasionally stomping on the hardwood floor in time to the music.
Even with the reservation, we had a long wait (about 45 minutes), but knowing that the restaurant is immensely popular and has a well-deserved reputation as one of Central Florida s top restaurants, it really wasn t so bad. Finally, we were seated in the patio room, which had the feel of sitting outdoors due to its several-stories-high ceiling, a gurgling fountain in the middle, potted palms and cast-iron outdoor tables covered with white cloths.
A distinguished, very friendly and ever-so-polite waiter named Alberto dressed in a refined tux greeted us within minutes and took our orders. First, we were each given a hot, crusty loaf of Cuban bread, which I smothered with butter, loving every bite. I always tell myself I m not going to eat bread before cruising guide bahamas dinner when I eat out, but this time I failed miserably in that attempt.
I also ordered a cocktail, intrigued by its name, the Silver Meteor. The drink included cava, a Spanish sparkling wine, along with orange and elderflower liqueurs and was created in the 1930s at the Columbia. cruising guide bahamas I imagined it was something Marilyn Monroe would have ordered and so I had to try it. Served in an old-fashioned champagne flute, it was sublime and not too sweet.
cruising guide bahamas For dinner, I ordered La Completa Cubana, a sampler platter that I highly recommend to the novice diner of Latin cuisine (myself included). I d had some of these items before, but some were completely new, and I wanted to try a variety cruising guide bahamas of the Columbia s dishes, so this was perfect.
I was presented with a dinner plate overflowing with roast pork, boliche (eye round stuffed with chorizo, a spicy sausage), empanada de picadillo cruising guide bahamas (a turnover filled with beef, olives, raisins, etc. very yummy!), plantains, yucca, black beans and yellow rice (whew!). To the uninitiated, beans and rice may not seem like a big deal, but trust me here it s something you shouldn t miss. Perhaps it s the touch of saffron, something I rarely have, but it was delicious!
Everything else was, too, although the yucca was a bit plain, like a baked potato. I d never had it before, but a little salt on it helped with the flavor. Being a dessert person and wanting to sample as much as I could, I finished my feast with a scrumptious white chocolate bread pudding. I was so stuffed I could only eat a few bites - and that was that. I don t think I ate again until lunch the next day.
If you can t make it to Tampa s Ybor City, you can find the Columbia s sister restaurants in the Florida cities of Celebration cruising guide bahamas , Clearwater Beach , Sarasota , St. Augustine and St. Petersburg . There are also Columbia Caf s at Tampa s Riverwalk and Tampa International Airport. While I can t describe cruising guide bahamas their d cor and ambience, I believe you ll find your meals to be quite memorable.
Thank you for your comment. Comments are posted as soon as possible after review and, while they are not edited, comments containing profanity, vulgarity, personal attacks or commercial content will not be published.
Great blog. I've been there several time… [More] Baltimore's American Visionary Art Museum: Celebrating Creativity (3) greg weekes wrote: cruising guide bahamas Thanks Heidemarie--I appreciate that! The AVAM was… [More] Snapshot of Alaska (1) Adreana Langston wrote: Let's hope that GORGEOUS area stays undeveloped so… [More] Baltimore's American Visionary Art Museum: Celebrating Creativity (3) Heidemarie Chernushin wrote: When I visited the AVAM last fall as part of a bri… [More] Comment RSS Most Recent Posts Best Place for a Cannoli in the North End of Boston The Florida Keys — Under the Sea St. Lucia — An Island Adventure in a Week Puerto Rico Rum Tour Labor Day 2012 Events New Mexico Hot Springs Austin's Restaurant Week in September A Taste of Manhattan The North Carolina Chili Dog Trail Baltimore's American Visionary Art Museum: Celebrating Creativity

No comments:

Post a Comment