Saturday, September 1, 2012

So I obtained a quote from Dan Dooley, which was quite a bit less than others, and when I called the




So I obtained a quote from Dan Dooley, which was quite a bit less than others, and when I called the 1-800 number in New Jersey, I was advised that I had to pay for it upfront in US dollars, and I'm Canadian, so there will be another exchange to factor in.
I was told that this is most often the less expensive way to do it, as they charge the "bank" exchange rate, which is a better rate. That made sense because I know the rate online or in the papers are not what the customer pays. (can you tell I'm not a financial or business person?)
If I go to the Dooley website I'll be charged, I guess when I get there - that's not at all clear to me, in Euro's, which will be changed to US dollars and then into Canadian, and he said there would also be a 3% credit card charge for the Euro/US dollar exchange.
Wow,I assume you're telling us you know for a fact that your card charges the 3%. Here in the U.S., some debit cards (CapitalOne) don't charge the 3% on debit card transactions, though they now charge it on ATM transactions. Do you have anything like that?
IN the US, most debit cards do charge 2-3 pct, so I don't see why that's such a big surprise. Cap One is an exception. Besides, we are talking about a credit card, not a debit card (although that is still true).
Shouldn't you be asking the company about whether you can pay when you return the car? That seems impossible to me. I know nothing about Dan Dooly but when I used AUtoeurope and paid in USD, they charged my card in advance as I recall, but I could have canceled with no penalty for some time period.
I wouldn't be making a decision based on a 2 pct difference when it was so convoluted (somehow paying Dan Dolley in cash). I'll admit this whole thing is pretty confusing. No one will let you take a car without some deposit on your credit card.
sugarmaple, the muse hotel new york city Ireland is one of the most complicated places to rent a car IMO. There is another website www.irelandyes.com that might have more information about car rentals. I remember spending far more time than was enjoyable trying to decide on our car rental. We finally went with Avis out of Dublin using our World Mastercard the muse hotel new york city to avoid excess insurance the muse hotel new york city charges. Don't think that you are a simpleton, it made my eyes cross because car rental in Ireland is one nasty headache Deborah
the muse hotel new york city Kilted the muse hotel new york city over on TA does the route suggested in your question. send him a private message to get the in's and out's. I have heard of the Dan Dooley pre pay arrangement for people who do not have credit cards and they do get an equal amount of good not just bad press on the forums.
I assume the muse hotel new york city this is true for them. Even if you paid in Euros in cash at the end it would take up to two weeks for the block to be removed from your account making that amount unaccessible to you and sometimes incurring double fees. One once when blocked, another when returned.
Payments are made on Collection (unless pre paid)not on return. The refunded and "Hold's" should be removed on return the muse hotel new york city of the car. If a hold is not made on the return (not possible at key drops)contact your credit card provider immediately you arrive home and inform them of the case and block any monies being taken rather than Held.
If I go to the Dooley website I'll be charged, I guess when I get there - that's not at all clear to me, in Euro's, which will be changed to US dollars and then into Canadian, and he said there would also be a 3% credit card charge for the Euro/US dollar exchange.
It's a fair comment but the point I probably the muse hotel new york city didn't make very well is that if someone tells you it will take up to a couple of weeks for the cash to be released back into your account! it might/should ring alarm bells. There have been several reports of damage charges being taken a week after cars were returned, maybe these are false reporting (it happens)but just be aware and make sure it doesn't happen to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment