Thursday, October 25, 2012

Christopher Elliott is the ombudsman for National Geographic Traveler magazine and the co-founder of




Last month they sent me a bill for $312 for a pebble in the windshield. I know nothing occurred while I had the car, otherwise, I would be more than willing to pay for any damage. When I received the letter, I immediately called them, letting them know that I didn't cause any damage, and was led to believe that I wouldn't have to pay for this damage that I didn't cause.
A: Windshield damage from a pebble isn't always visible when you return a vehicle, and a car rental new york hotel deals company will replace the entire windshield after the crack begins to spread. So it's possible that you didn't notice the chip when you brought the car back to Thrifty.
I'm told that windshields are the most common damage to a car rental and, I would add, the most contentious. Why? Because, as your case shows, the problem isn't always obvious when you bring the vehicle back.
I understand why you'd want to call Thrifty immediately after receiving its claim. But a phone representative's assurances are worthless, particularly a vague promise new york hotel deals that you shouldn't have to pay for something you're not responsible for. I mean, that's obviously true, but it in no way absolves you of Thrifty's claim.
I probably wouldn't new york hotel deals have taken your case, except for one detail you mentioned at the end of your note. The dates on the claim were wrong. To me, that suggests Thrifty sent the bill to the wrong customer.
I contacted Thrifty on your behalf. It apologized for sending new york hotel deals you a claim with the wrong date. A representative admitted the "date logged for this damage was keyed inaccurately, resulting in the confusion on the date."
Christopher Elliott is the ombudsman for National Geographic Traveler magazine and the co-founder of the Consumer Travel Alliance. His column runs twice a week at seattletimes.com/travel . Contact him at chris@elliott.org .

No comments:

Post a Comment