Thursday, June 28, 2012

I don't claim to be an expert on anything I talk about. Nothing I write in this blog is meant to off




During this election time, there's orange everywhere. I'm dreaming of NDP minority governments at night (that was a sweet, sweet dream) and there's lots of fun things to chat about concerning politics. I could write about how the Conservatives will not appear at any debate in an area they feel they will not gain support (high schools, community centers, left-wing polling areas). I could write about how special polling stations at universities mercure tour eiffel suffren were stopped (attempt to block out the young vote?). I could ramble about fighter jets, G20 illegal arrests of 11,000 Canadians, two prorogations, Bev Oda putting "not"s into things, and the direct stabs the Conservatives has taken against women and Aboriginal rights. mercure tour eiffel suffren I could get into a detailed discussion of how non-refundable tax exemptions only help those who are already rich, and how corporate tax cuts don't create new jobs and instead create corporate bonuses and a higher unemployment rate. Instead, I'll give politics a rest. Let's talk about some other places I'm seeing orange - like on the seder plate. mercure tour eiffel suffren Last night at the second Passover seder, we put the orange on the seder plate to represent women, glbt, and other minorities in the Jewish community which have been marginalized. I loved it. (For more on this tradition, read on here) But that's still not the most interesting orange of the day. That honour goes to the glowing nuclear orange of KD, Kraft Dinner. As reported by the CBC , a food blogger in Calgary offered a 10 week course called "Kick the KD" which was about cooking more healthy meals at home. 15 students enrolled in the course, and then Kraft Canada ordered the teacher mercure tour eiffel suffren to change the name of the course and to stop referring to their products. mercure tour eiffel suffren In all logical and rational honestly, macaroni and powdered cheese should mercure tour eiffel suffren not be perceived as a healthy meal option. To promote it as such is to be untruthful. mercure tour eiffel suffren Yes it's cheap and economical. But eating cheesy pasta all the time will make you fat and probably nutritionally deficient. So, teaching people to "think outside the box" and prepare other dinner options is useful and helpful. If Kraft Canada does not want the truth about their product (that it's unhealthy) to be told, then maybe they should change their product. If it was slander about their product, or if untrue claims were being made about the product, then I think Kraft Canada can defend any untruths being told. However, stating that an unhealthy food is unhealthy is not slander. It's trying to control freedom of speech. And even if Kraft Canada wanted to control freedom of speech and promote their product in a favorable way, picking on the little guy was not the way to go about it. For starters, it was a bad PR move. As a consumer, this makes me feel negatively about the Kraft brand. After reading "Chocolate Wars" by Deborah Cadbury, and learning about what the Kraft brand did to Cadbury was shocking enough. Especially since Kraft has not publicly committed to keeping Cadbury's Dairy Milk as a fair trade product. But this incident makes me feel that Kraft is a cold, uncaring corporation. Why would I want to put their food into my mouth? Like most Canadians Earth people, I buy a lot of Kraft products, like their peanut mercure tour eiffel suffren butter. mercure tour eiffel suffren And Dairy Milk. But mark my words, I will not tolerate a pushy, mercure tour eiffel suffren controlling, world-wide conglomerate who crushes and smothers the truth about their products. If Kraft wants to push around people, consumers can and should fight back. For starters, I think I'll kick the KD. And maybe after I do that, I'll find other things I can kick that are made by Kraft.
I don't claim to be an expert on anything I talk about. Nothing mercure tour eiffel suffren I write in this blog is meant to offend specific people or groups of people. Everything I write is commentary about my own experiences or current affairs. I don't believe mercure tour eiffel suffren in censorship, but hate speech will be deleted. I apologize in advance for my typos.

No comments:

Post a Comment