Sunday, July 22, 2012

While I once dodged Thanh’s suggestions that we go on a cruise, it’s now my friends and colleagues w




I am man of modest means. And men of modest means—men who have memorized the Dollar Menu at McDonald's (or the "tasting menu," as I call it)—do not go on cruises.  I'd seen enough old movies to know that cruising was a pursuit reserved for the select few—aristocrats sports in the united kingdom and oil barons, not special education teachers.
Even if I could scrounge up the hundred grand or so for a cruise, there was the matter of what to wear. I knew extensive formal attire would be involved for I'd seen Cary Grant cross the Atlantic in an endless succession of stodgy suits and starchy tuxedos in "An Affair to Remember." I did not own a tuxedo. I didn't even own what could technically be called a suit. A sports coat and Dockers might suffice for snorkeling, but what about dinner?
Which brings us to food.  Cruise veterans might touch on the tropical sunsets or the splendors sports in the united kingdom of Glacier Bay, but their narratives never strayed far from the food—the sumptuous dinners, the scrumptious desserts and, above all, the fact that one can eat all one wants whenever one wants to eat.  I did not want to eat all I want to eat.  Largely, because I did not want to spend countless additional hours at my gym undoing sports in the united kingdom the damage.
"I'm serious," Thanh persisted. "Let's sports in the united kingdom go on a cruise." Thanh had been on two cruises. She had tasted the forbidden fruits of midnight dessert fetes and she wanted more. "Sure," I relented, as I pondered my post-cruise paunch. (On the bright side, I'd be so broke after the cruise that I'd lose the paunch in no time due to starvation.)
We booked a seven-day cruise to the Mexican Riviera (it was news to me that Mexico had a Riviera).  It was also news to me that I could afford sports in the united kingdom a cruise.  The price of passage was about what I'd typically spend for a week in Yosemite in one of those unheated hovels they call tent "cabins."  As much as I liked the price, I had serious reservations about the product an interminable week of grazing and sunbathing on the high seas. I'd bring a book; that would help kill the time.
My first inkling that cruising might not be quite what I'd imagined occurred as our airport shuttle approached Los Angeles Harbor. A gleaming white colossus gradually sports in the united kingdom emerged from the storied Southern California mists (smog). "Our ship," sports in the united kingdom Thanh said. My eyes grew wider and wider as the leviathan loomed larger and larger. That was no ship; it was a small planet. Those "floating palaces" in the old movies were mere asteroids in comparison.
As we boarded Diamond Princess, found our stateroom and explored, it dawned on me that my kill-the-time book might not be necessary. There was so much to see and do, so much in fact that by the second day I was seriously sports in the united kingdom concerned about my tan, or lack thereof. Thanh and I were so busy enjoying everything from comedy acts to conga lines that I hadn't had time to acquire that bronze patina that would prove I'd been on a cruise
I did, eventually, acquire that seasoned-seafarer tan, thanks to some unforgettable shore excursions in the warm Mexican winter sun—snorkeling off the Marietas Islands (and photographing their fantastic blue-footed boobies!), whale watching out of Cabo San Lucas, parasailing miles (it seemed) sports in the united kingdom above the sparkling waters of Mazatlan.
I didn't put much of a dent in that kill-the-time book—and not for lack of trying. I'm an early riser, and every morning I'd slip over to the still-quiet sports in the united kingdom Horizon Court buffett to sip coffee and read at a window table. sports in the united kingdom I never made it past the first paragraph. I simply couldn't tear my eyes from the passing coastline, sports in the united kingdom the rolling waves, the rollicking dolphins, and the mysterious, mercurial sea. I could've sat there for hours, utterly at peace.
What I wouldn't give to be there now, sipping my coffee at the dawn of another extraordinary day!  That first cruise four years ago transformed me from cruise curmudgeon sports in the united kingdom to cruise fanatic.  Thanh and I have since been on second cruise to Mexico sports in the united kingdom and we hope to take a Hawaiian cruise in the next few months.
While I once dodged Thanh's suggestions that we go on a cruise, it's now my friends sports in the united kingdom and colleagues who do the dodging as I pester them relentlessly about the joys of cruising:  Stressed? Why don't you go on a cruise? . . . Getting married? Why don't you go on a cruise? sports in the united kingdom . . . The Giants lost? Why don't you go on a cruise? . . . The Giants won? Why don't you go on a cruise?
I ve been hooked since my first cruise in 1972! I taught kindergarten for 40 years and the sea was my stress buster. Every school break I could hear the ships horn calling me for another adventure. I leave on Aug. 3rd for my 98th cruise. Now , newly retired, I find the sound of the sea calling every couple months. I m planning for a big 100th cruise in Feb. Enjoying the good life !!!
i FINALLY CONVINCED MY FRIEND LEA TO GO ON A CRUISE, SOMETHING OF WHICH neither sports in the united kingdom OF US HAD WANTED TO EVER DO, and yet I had gone on one before, so was in the know . Lea finally agreed and now she won t take hardly ANY vacation unless it involves sports in the united kingdom a couple CRUISES in a row! We have several more upcoming scheduled cruises this Jan. and next summer! sports in the united kingdom Just wish the Vernadahs weren t so expensive!
We just cruised on the Ruby Princess sports in the united kingdom and couldn t be happier to be on Deck 5 with a window but no balcony. We were just down the hall from the piazza, the 24 hour cafe, the art gallery, the internet cafe and a big beautiful dining room. Others with balconies were on decks where there was nothing happening as they were all cabins. Don t blow money on a balcony sports in the united kingdom as you will be too busy to spend that much time in your room.
David what a fabulous story. My hubby was not keen to cruise, but 4 years ago we went on the Dawn Princess sports in the united kingdom around the Pacific islands and he became hooked. Two years later we were on the Sun Princess around NZ. We absolutely love Princess Cruises and could find no fault. This will be tested in Feb 2013 as we embark on a 9 day cruise with Voyager of the Seas. If money were not an issue I am sure we would be joining sports in the united kingdom those who cruise several times a year. Bon Voyage to all who do cruise.
I am with you Vivienne, my husband was adamant he would not cruise ever and then in 2008 I went ahead and booked a 7 day cruise to the South Pacific, that was the beginning of the end. We went again to the South Pacific in Jun 2011 for 14 days, and he was so excited, I am sure he knew the Pacific Jewel back to front before we even got on it. He absolutely loves the South Pacific but this time I put my foot down and said I wanted to see other parts of the world so he relented and in May 2013 we head of the Canada and Alaska but you guessed it, the trip had to involve a cruise. We are so excited to be going on a cruisetour this time, it involves 7 days land into the heart of Alaska and then 7 days cruising the inside passage sports in the united kingdom on the Diamond Princess, counting the days.
Maxine, you will love the Alaskan cruisetour! We started our curisetour on May 16, 2012, in Fairbanks. Loved every second of it and then it got better, sports in the united kingdom we go on the ship! The glaciers were fantastic and the shore excursions even better! Every guide on our tour was quite knowledgeable and informative. It made the experience even better. Would love to do it all again!
I know when you cruise once it gets in your blood and you need to go again. We cruise every other year with my son and daughter -in-law. It has been 4 wonderful cruises and I am taking one with my daughter the in between year. I love and would not change it for anything else.
What a great story. We have just booked sports in the united kingdom our 3rd cruise. This one is going to be on the Allure sports in the united kingdom of the Seas. Princess is out ship of choice, but wanted to try the big one. Love cruising. The only way to travel. Have visited a lot of places, and have a lot of places left to visit. Try to go every year.
Loved your story, David reminded me of the concerns reservations that I had until we took the Coral Princess to Alaska followed by cruises to the Mexican Riviera and the Caribbean sports in the united kingdom (all on Princess, of course.) Needless to say we are now hooked on cruising and have booked another next February through the Panama Canal.
sports in the united kingdom Alaska is the place to cruise. Been there twice 2009 and 2011! Once on Carnival and once on Princess. Of the two, I liked Princess the most. Either way, I m ready for a return visit. The scenery is terrific, lots to see and do.
If time permits, do the land portion sports in the united kingdom as well, the landscape in the interior is stunning. Travelled from Fairbanks to Whittier and boarded the Coral in September 2011 and the fall colours were wonderful.
sports in the united kingdom Have just been on Alaska land Criise from Vancouver in May and it was the most enjoyable sports in the united kingdom and wonderful holiday i have ever had, Princess is very good can t wait for my next cruise with them,advise anyone to do the cruise ,i have passed it on to all my friends.
Mona, I hope you won t be as disappointed as I was on the Oasis of the Seas. It was beautiful, especially the central park area .but they had to give up space in the show areas ..You have to make reservations in advance to be able to see a show as there are very few seats. I was really quite disappointed as they filled up fast ..I prefer the smaller ship with a larger seating capacity for the shows I can usually catch it more than once on a Princess ship.
David, welcome to the obsession!!! My first was a 3-day cruise to Mexico. Since then, I cruise an average of once a year Mexican Rivera was grand but so is the Mediterranean and Hawaii!!!! And don t forget ALASKA Princess treated my beau and I royally for that week!!!! sports in the united kingdom (You can order Silver Salmon every night for diner!!!). For my birthday this year, we are cruising the Baltic Princess, once again!!! I am so excited to see St. Petersburg!
I've taken the Baltic cruise twice before with my late wife and am taking it again July 28th. I am reasonably sure you will not be disappointed; I haven't been even considering the long journey sports in the united kingdom from LA to Copenhagen. I'm not sure they still offer the all-day trip to Moscow that I took, but there are plenty of other

No comments:

Post a Comment